jueves, 21 de febrero de 2013

Divergent



Divergent by Veronica Roth

I don't know how familiar you are with this book so I'm going to make a small introduction to the story.
Divergent is set in a sort of "post apocalyptic" future in which society is divided into factions. Everyone must choose a faction when they turn 16 and that choice is forever and they can either remain with their families or move factions and become someone else. That's basically an introduction to the world that the book is set in, I won't tell much about the story in case I drop some spoilers.
I didn't expect much of the book, but lately I've been reading about it and everyone seemed to love it so much so I eventually bought it. I knew that it was being compared to the Hunger Games trilogy (which I will probably review in the future) so that was pretty interesting to me. I also knew that the story wasn't still finished so I was actually hoping to enjoy the book so much so I could experience again what it feels like to be first in line on the release date. Unfortunately, even though I have enjoyed the book (I read it in less than two days), I am not much in love with it as I was with The Hunger Games. Still, the story is pretty interesting and it's very entertaining. The main problem to me was that at some points I kept thinking that the story was a mess and nothing didn't make much sense, and now that I've finished I'm not really sure that I got the whole thing right, but make no mistake, I have enjoyed many aspects of the book: the main character (Beatrice / Tris) being one of them, because of her evolution and actions. 
There are some surprising moments in the story (which I appreciated) and the relations (either with friends, enemies or love interests) were quite well developed.
Even though my expectations weren't much high I still think that I am quite disappointed, because this I feel was a story that could have made an amazing book, and I only found it highly entertaining.
Now, the movie adaptation is in the works and if the blog is still on by its release (the blog, not the challenge) I will probably make a "Book to screen review". I have high hopes for the adaptation and I hope not to be disappointed.
I will read Insurgent as soon as I can, because I do want to know what happens next (which proves the effect of enjoying Divergent).


MadHatterSays: Entertain yourself… read it.

                               3/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario