jueves, 7 de marzo de 2013

Hamlet



Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Today I decided that I had to go with a real, timeless, classic. Hamlet. I must say right now that the review won't be too long, mainly I am no judge to what Shakespeare wrote, but I respect his work so much that I want to, at least, write a line or two about this play.
Everyone knows what Hamlet is about, that's right, I knew it before reading it, but yet something really weird happened the moment I got myself into it. The story became something new, completely unexpected, I knew the plot, I knew the characters, and I even knew some of the lines, but this is a work of a genius and from the first couple of words on, you are so into it that the thought of "I know what's going to happen" disappears.

The story is amazingly crafted, I am not much of a theatre reader but the way that Shakespeare manages to show what's going on in Hamlet's head, and what's going on in the world that surrounds him is brilliant. I have to admit that I even found it funny to read, Hamlet has some amazing, terrific, funny dialogues that he uses in a way that was completely new to me (and yes, we are talking about something written 500 years ago).
All the characters in the story are beautifully created, some you hate, some you love, some you want to kill yourself… which is great because that means that you are so into the story that you end up feeling just like Hamlet. 

I had to read this at University a couple of months ago, and I highly regret not having done it before, so, really, if you like reading and you have some free time (it's not that long), please, pick this one up. I had watched the film adaptation before (the one by Kenneth Branagh) and I loved it, but reading the play is a hundred times better, I'd love to see a production of it, actually.

So, overall, Hamlet is a work of a genius that you should read at least once in your life.

MadHatterSays: Read it!
                               5/5

2 comentarios:

  1. There are lots of Shakespeare productions around, and great actors start playing Shakespeare's characters from a very early stage in their careers, I know for example Chris Eccleston and David Tennant played Hamlet a few years ago. If there's any production going on soon, I will be delighted to go and see it with you! :D

    ResponderEliminar