lunes, 4 de marzo de 2013

Sherlock (BBC)



Sherlock created by Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat

So, today I have decided to review the BBC series Sherlock, which I have recently revisited and I think it is worth taking a few minutes to talk about it.
First of all, if you are not familiar with it, this is not just Sherlock Holmes. This is Sherlock in present day London working in "adaptations" of the problems that he and Dr. Watson faced in the original short stories.
I remember the day a friend  of mine told me about the series, I was not very interested at all about the whole thing, but then I sat down and watched in less than two days. Why?, well, here there are a bunch of reasons:
1-It is a short series (2 seasons, 3 episodes each). Every episode is like a feature film (90 minutes) with the distinction that it actually feels like they last 30 minutes, which makes it difficult if you actually want to stop for a while, you simply can't.
2.The characters: If you have read or watched some adaptations, you are pretty familiar with Sherlock and Watson. But here it all gets to a new level, Sherlock is so intriguing and funny (in his own way) that he is completely irresistible. I mean, I would definitely go out with him (even though he would make me feel miserable). I obviously have to mention Benedict Cumberbatch, a great character is nothing without a great performance, and Benedict is nothing but spectacular in this role. Watson, as the unconditional best friend, he is the one we would all want to have by our side. His humour and charisma makes the whole series even better. Again, Martin Freeman is the one to thank for that, his performance is just amazing. There are some who would kill me if I didn't make a small reference to the relation between Watson and Holmes, which by the way, is very interesting and would make a wonderful debate. Watch the series, and get the many lectures of that "friendship".  Irene Adler, who is the sexy, interesting, sophisticated, etc, etc ,etc , that, when put together in the same room with Benedict is just a perfect combination that makes the show shine even brighter. And last but not least, (and leaving some characters out) Moriarty, the bad guy, the super villain of the whole thing. He is portrayed by Andrew Scott and let me just say, he plays one of the greatest villains (and one of the most scary) I have seen in TV. The way he stares at people, the way he moves, talks... really, you would not want to meet him.
3-The writing. I could just leave it there but I'll explain. If you consider that the short stories are pretty old, the fact that they (the writers) managed to adapt them into a modern world is mesmerizing. But what really impressed me was the talent to make you feel whatever they wanted (If you want to experience that, you might just jump to the last episode of the series 2 The Reichenbach fall and see what I'm talking about) The dialogue is great, every word coming out of Sherlock's mouth is amazing and it makes you wonder, "how on earth did they come up with that?"
So, that's it. 6 episodes, 2 seasons, no more than 10 hours of your life. If you have nothing to do, and you have not watched this…

MadHatterSays: Watch it!!
                               4.5/5

1 comentario:

  1. "There are some who would kill me if I didn't make a small reference to the relation between Watson and Holmes" THAT'S ME, YAY! Jajajajaj

    Nice review! :)

    ResponderEliminar