sábado, 9 de marzo de 2013

One Day



One Day by David Nichols

Hello everyone! Today I'll be discussing this romantic story that it was one of the highlights of last year's reading time!

"One day" tells the story of Dexter and Emma from the day they meet (15th of July), to 20 years on. I immediately found it very interesting, because every chapter of the book is 15th of July, but in different years, which is really amazing because telling a story with only one day is not only original, but also difficult.
I have to say that I'm sort of 50% with the book, because  since there are 2 main characters, there is one chapter for each, so, if you happen to love both of them, it's really amazing, but that was not my case until half way through… Still, it was very interesting to read.
I personally love stories like this one in which you get to know everyone as if they were real. Many critics of the book said "When I got to the end, I felt like Emma and Dexter were my best friends", that's absolutely true, they are real,  greatly detailed and imagined and very well characterised. Don't you just love it when you get real people in a story? I do.
Going back to the story. 20 years is a long time, that's why I want to point out that even though not all chapters are super interesting, they are charming enough to get you going and not putting the book down (which usually happens to me with books that cover long periods of time).
The writing was great, all the dialogues are very well chosen for each of the characters and well, I appreciated the fact that you don't get that corny speech at the end of every single meeting, that's what made it real and romantic for me. Well done, David Nichols. 

Overall, (even though I think I have already pointed out my opinion), if you are a romance lover, pick this one up, I think you are going to love it.

Beware: Stay away from the film adaptation if you read the book. I watched it afterwards, and even though I didn't hate it, the magic of the book was not there, and what made me love Dexter and Emma was missing as well (although I have to admit that Anne Hathaway and Jim Strugess play them quite beautifully and that might be the only reason that would make me rewatch the film). Make no mistake, it's not a hateable film, but as I said, there's no magic in it.




MadHatterSays: Read it!
                               4/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario