domingo, 17 de marzo de 2013

The Boy in the stripped pyjamas



The Boy in the stripped pyjamas by John Boyne

Hello everyone, today I only have five minutes to write because I'm going to be on the road back home and I won't have my computer.
I am going to quick review this book that became a major success back in 2006/2007. I had to read this at school, and I have not read it again, and I decently won't.  The problem with a book (or anything) which you have been hearing and reading nothing but great things is that there is an increasing risk of disappointment. That's exactly what happened to me. 

I remember reading this and having to go back because I kept forgetting about the characters and what was going on. The book did nothing for me, because I did not emphasize with any of the characters and I greatly disliked the main character Bruno, mainly because I found it impossible to believe that he didn't know what his father was doing (Not the executions, that of course I believe he didn't know) but I didn't buy that he didn't know about the camps and all. All the characters beyond the two kinds are long forgotten, as is the story, which rarely happens, but again, maybe one day I should pick it up again.
I do have to say that the ending moved me, but I'm a human being and it was quite a sad and emotive ending, which would obviously work, but since I utterly disliked the rest of it, I can't say that it made a difference.

Note: The fact that I didn't like the book, is because I didn't like the story. But it's well written and if you enjoy reading you probably won't be bored.



MadHatterSays: Nice, emotive and sad. Read it if you want but try not to expect as much as everyone tells you.
                               2/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario