sábado, 2 de marzo de 2013

The Lost Symbol



The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I thought I might go on with Mr. Brown and review the last installment of Robert Langdon's adventures.
I don't know if I mentioned this in the last review, I have not read The DaVinci Code, because I think that if you already know the ending to a thriller book like that one, there is no point in spending days of your life reading it.
Well, I was a big fan of Robert Langdon, particularly because I am a big fan of Tom Hanks, so, when four years ago The Lost Symbol went on sale I bought it instantly and started reading. I'm not going to mention much about the story since it follows the exact same pattern of Angels & Demons and The DaVinci code. The story at first seemed to be somewhat interesting, I was always hoping for a little bit more, but that just did not happen.
The writing was pretty poor and all the imagination that I could feel reading Angels & Demons was gone. All the plot twists were quite predictable; the big revelation moment (which I won't mention, but if you have read the book will most likely picture it) was pretty stupid, and everything was a complete mess from beginning to end.
Robert Langdon was ok, as always, but hey, if you have been building up a character for over two novels it's not something that stands out, I mean, Langdon was cool in the other two stories (I bet he was in Code) but I didn't think that was enough here…
I was pretty upset while reading this and the only reason I actually didn't throw the book out the window was because I actually paid for it. In my opinion, this might very well be one of the worst books that I have ever read (probably I have read worse, but since I had great expectations for this one, i just hate it)

SPOILER ALERT:
The book became ridiculous the moment Dan Brown used that thing from The Abyss (directed by James Cameron) to "kill" Langdon and then bring him back to life. That's when I decided that it could not get worse than that.
Well, that's pretty much it, I'm not sure I need to give a verdict but I will anyway.


MadHatterSays: Don't bother. Get away from it
                               1/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario