martes, 5 de marzo de 2013

Thelma & Louise



Thelma & Louise directed by Ridley Scott

"Hi stranger!" That's what Thelma Dickinson would most probably say the moment she got a glimpse of you, and so I thought it would be a nice way to start the review.
There's two main reasons for which I am going to review this film today: I absolutely love it and I consider it to be the work of a genius writer, and because I don't have much time and it will not take me long to talk about this road movie.

Thelma & Louise is a film about friendship, crime, the road, freedom… get all those things, mix the up together with some of the greatest writing on a film, and you will get Thelma & Louise. The story focuses on Thelma (played by Geena Davis), a rather settled housewife who is not particularly enjoying her life, and Louise (Susan Sarandon), a waitress who is in command of her life and will not let anyone decide for her. Indeed, that's a great combination of characters, now put them in a car, send them away to the road and get the thing working. So, Thelma & Louise run away for a weekend, to spend some time up in the mountains fishing and enjoying fresh air, but something happens along the way that gets them in real trouble. Big trouble. I don't know if it would be considered a spoiler, that's why I won't tell you what happens.
The story is constantly getting bigger and bigger, the characters evolve, they become new people while they drive away, which makes the film very interesting because back when the it was made, it was rather unthinkable to have to women leading a film, let alone two women such as Thelma & Louise. Even now, 21 years later, you get the feeling that there are not many films like this one. Some have described this film as the first "outlaw" film about women, well, I don't know if that's right, but it clearly is the one film that made people realise that women could do very well on their own up on screen, and on the road, and against the law. Well done Callie Khourie (she wrote the story).  

Ever since I watched this film for the first time I've had my friends come over to watch it many times, and it gets better and better. As I said, the characters are great, the story is amazing and the way it evolves is just so organic and natural that it just makes me sick! About the rest? Well, the direction is brilliant, the music is inspiring, acting can't get any better than this, and the ending is quite immortal.
Is this one the best movie ever? Probably not, but hey, it's up there for me.


MadHatterSays: Watch it!
                           5/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario