miércoles, 6 de marzo de 2013

The Dark Tower: The gunslinger


The Dark Tower:  The gunslinger by Stephen King

Hello everyone, today I will be "reviewing" this book, which I finished reading last night. Why "Reviewing"? well, mainly because it is bloody difficult to tell what the hell is about, and since there are 7 sequels I'm guessing it's going to be a long way until I know the answer to that matter. So, I'm going to go through it quickly enough just to tell you what I thought of it. 

I read the book because I had never read anything by King and a friend of mine told me to go for this one. The story is indeed very interesting (even though there are things that I did not quite understand, probably because it is a long series). I loved the world that the writer has created and the way he describes it. There is a particular moment in which the main character has to leave a town, that was thrilling to read because it was like The Walking Dead, but without the living dead and only with words that you had to turn into images, which was great. The story is set in a sort of "lifeless" world, which makes everything quite dry, dark, sad… But there is a tiny light, a little boy called Jake that joins the main character, Roland (The gunslinger). They relation is the one thing I loved about the book. Both characters are so well written that it's almost impossible to picture one without the other, it is amazing to see how this two men complement each other in the story.
Obviously, there is a bad guy, although I'm not sure if he is the bad guy or not, but anyway, he is the bad guy for Roland, and that's what really matters. That guy is called "the dark man" and everything he says makes the book a very strange piece of reading, again, it is interesting enough to be eager to read the following books, because whatever he mentions makes you want to think "wait, that is actually so cool".
The story has many, many, flashbacks from which you learn a great deal about the characters (you actually get to know Roland, as a kid, from his flashbacks), and more interestingly, you get to witness how they have changed from that moment to the present day of the story.

Well, I really don't know what else to mention, because I am not fully aware of the mysteries behind this story (which I know are many), but the one thing I know is that I liked the book well enough to go on and read the second one (not right now, though).


MadHatterSays: Read it!
                       4/5 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario