viernes, 19 de abril de 2013

Midnight in Paris



Midnight in Paris directed by Woody Allen

So, I was going by my film collection and I found myself staring at Midnight in Paris, and then I thought it would be an interesting film to write about.
As I said, this is a Woody Allen film, and I know that there are some "haters" out there that won't give his movies a chance and all, but nonetheless, to me his films are (most of them) great, and that's why this is probably the first of some Woody Allen's films reviews.

The film tells the story of what to me is a perfect alter ego of Allen himself, wonderfully played by Owen Wilson. He plays a writer that is in need for imagination so to speak, he is trapped in his life even though he seems to ignore it at first, so, when he gets to Paris, the city of dreams comes to his aid. The film is a fantasy tale, that leads Wilson's characters back in time so he can meet writers like Hemingway, or artists like Dali, which of course is very interesting, not only to the character but to the audience as well.
Then you get the Woody Allen love story, which is basically a great succession of anecdotes taking the main character to the most bizarre situations and making him realize that the life he thought he had, is nothing but a big piece of nothing. 

The acting in the film is amazing, and there is an A list cast in here, from Wilson, to Kathy Bates, Michael Sheen, Adrien Brody, Tom Hiddleston and many, many others (even Carla Bruni). The writing... I won't even say, I mean, what Woody Allen does, even in his bad films, is beyond what regular writers can do, and he won an Oscar for this one, so you can figure! Paris is the perfect setting for this great story, and old Paris makes you want to go back in time, which apparently you can achieve, if you wait patiently enough until it's Midnight, in Paris...

MadHatterSays: Watch it!
                               4/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario