domingo, 14 de abril de 2013

Titanic



Titanic directed by James Cameron

Hello everyone! I didn't know what to review next, and since today is the 101 anniversary of the sinking of the R.M.S Titanic, I thought I could quickly dedicate a post to the James Cameron 1997 epic recreation of that day.

As I'm sure most of you know, Titanic follows the story of Jack and Rose, two young lovers from different social status that meet onboard of the ship, and have an intense romance during the days before the sinking. That's the main storyline; simple, plain, concrete...
It's interesting to see how the story evolves, because at first you are presented with some people looking for a diamond, and from that, you go back in time and the love story is introduced in the film in one of James Cameron's finest directions to date. Now, I know that there is an ongoing  hate towards this film, and I guess I can see why: it became highly popular and everyone talked about it, it's corny and perhaps is way too long, I see all those points, and I understand all of them, but, let's look at it more closely.
I'm not going to say that Titanic is flawless, because it isn't. But I've watched it countless times and even though there are some parts that don't flow very naturally, the story still works, and very well (in my opinion). 
I think that even 16 years later Titanic is still popular not only because of its special effects, but because Kate Winslet said, this is "an old classic love story" and no matter how hard we try, we will always love those.
The actors are terrific and the entire casting is at its best. This is one of those "cast films" in which you can say "damn, that's acting", at least, that's what I think. The writing and directing, as I said, are James Cameron finest (maybe Aliens tops Titanic). The film is historically well made, and proof to that is that 16 years later, it still looks as good as it did back in 97, and not all big budget films can say that about themselves.
From the set decoration to the score, 

Titanic is one of those films that work on many different levels. But again, it is also one of those Love-Hate films. I'm happy and proud to say that I am on the love side, and will remain there, no matter how much crap is said or written about this classic.

MadHatterSays: Watch it!
                               4/5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario